Friday, September 26, 2008

Of placement blues and the rest

There was a small mention of the placement scenario in the previous post.. I am not gonna give out any statistics.. But the fact remains that quite many of my classmates and friends are yet to get a job.. All of them are really frustrated.. Very badly dejected.. I was talking to a classmate of mine this morning.. Yesterday she went through the procedures of yet another company which dint take her in.. I was trying to console her saying everything will work out fine and she will get a job soon.. I was suggesting some companies that she could opt for that which would be coming to campus soon.. She went on with things like they might not be interested in my department people over some others or they might not prefer a girl.. And.. She finally came up with this.. " I don't wanna go on taking up the procedures when all that that happens is it becomes a big flop at the end.. I now realize I'm not good for any company.." I did try to pull her out of it and had some success too.. But the whole point is she is so badly depressed about not getting a job that she wants to stop trying and she thinks she is good for nothing..

That was not an isolated incident.. A few days back I was talking to another friend of mine.. He was telling me about the company that was going to visit campus the next day and how he is going to give it a shot though he is not very interested.. The talk went on like this with him talking about some of his friends who are studying really hard to get placed.. Me like a fool tried to tease him saying things like he not studying at all and not trying out many companies either.. N it got me into the worse.. He literally shot out a rude reply.. "I have tried for 8 companies so far and I'm not placed yet.. Happy??" He thought I was mocking at his state.. May be the timing was really wrong.. Though he is one of the most jovial guys around who is very much of a fun to be with, he is so dejected that even a small comment which was not even intended to hit on him was so hard for him to take that I got blasted.. I really regret now..

So many are in the same state.. Everywhere in college its the same.. Anyone you talk to they talk of companies and jobs.. People have started taking up options which they never had imagined a person half as good as them would take.. All for the sake of having something in hand.. some backup.. after all.. its better than nothing.. I really do hope and pray everything ends well..

With all this going on at one end.. I just happened to hear something from a classmate of mine yesterday.. One of the companies which all of us consider good had come down.. People were shortlisted for the interview process based on the written test.. There was to be a presentation and interviews after that.. And as the story goes as it was told to me.. One of those people who was selected for the interview.. Well.. The person missed it.. Can you imagine why.. No.. I'm very sure you can not come up with the reason.. He/She missed it because.. He/She had slept off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that!! By the way.. Did I mention it was a good company with a good profile and it offers 9lpa..

No comments: