Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A year old professional

Yes! It has been a year since I started working! I almost forgot, if not for the surge of new hires yesterday. I had always assumed this to be such a scary endeavor that it feels extra good to have held on to it for a year. What else could I have done after graduating, you wonder! Well.. PhD was an option, while away another 5 years in school and then become a Prof, not that that was not working, anyways or may be do what every 3rd Tam girl seems to do, lets not even get me started on that. So, I made my choices and here I'm one year later, happy that I did what I did.

I still remember the first day of work when I was supposed to make it in by 8.45 and I had the option of taking the connection to here at 8.40 or 7.50. I choose 7.50, given the 15min ride and ended up reaching the station by 7.10! I could have been early by an hour and a half. That is what I am I guess. Get apprehensive, obsess over trivial issues, over-analyze, freak out, bug everyone else, anger, finally go wth and yet end up giving it 3 different excessive buffers.(Ok, not as bad as that sounds, but I'm a little too cautious yes)

Anyways, I made it to work well and good on the first day and its been great since then. A nurturing environment, a very intelligent - hard working team, awesome neighbors, young and fun colleagues, stimulating discussions, exciting work, some not-so-exciting stuff, a few 16hr days, a few 7hr ones, work-from-home, 3hr lunches, lunches at 4, meetings at 6am, meetings at 9pm, Christmas and Halloween parties, summer carnivals, re-orgs, roadshows, recruiting, some bad days, some great days, a lot of peaceful ones.. One amazing year and hopefully a precursor to many more.

No comments: